The olive oil is used all over the world in various ways. Whether it is about cooking at home or a hotel or manufacturing pharmaceuticals, This oil is the liquid gold that is used for numerous purposes and is extracted by pressing the whole olives. Green olives produce bitter oil and the over ripe olives are capable of producing the rancid oil. To get the right oil, all the olives need an adequate care. The trade market of this oil is spinning money globally.
The Types Of Olive Oil
- Extra Virgin – This is the higher quality of this oil and contains only 0.8% acids, thus, has a fruity taste. The production of this superior quality oil is highest in the Mediterranean i.e. 80% in Greece.
- Virgin – This type of oil is of a slight lower quality and is 1.5% acidity free in nature.
- Refined – Obtained from virgin olive oil without an initial glycerin addition. While extracting the oil, no kinds of solvents are used but the refining procedure involves a few chemical filters and charcoal.
- Olive Pomace Oil– This oil is not exactly defined as an olive oil. It is blended with the virgin oil and is fit for consumption. However, it comprises of the same fatty components as the regular olive oil. Hence, another reason for its usage in cooking in restaurants.
The Cretan Olive Oil
Crete is a well-known city in Greece. The Mediterranean basin in Greece holds the largest production of olives, 80% as we said above. The leading consumers of oil are the Greeks with an average of 24 liters per person in a year! You can make an idea of how widely the oil is used in the food and beverages. The Cretan olives are a rich source of essential vitamins and hence, they are supplied widely all over the nation.
The Mediterranean Diet And Metabolic Syndrome
Metabolic syndrome is another silent killer and many causes contribute to it. Stress, obesity, not following a balanced diet and excessive alcohol consumption followed by cardiovascular diseases and type 2diabetes when combined, lead to this syndrome. The Mediterranean diet is one of the proven ways to tackle metabolic syndrome. This specific diet includes intake of green and leafy vegetables, fruits and a moderate consumption of proteins and olive oil.
The Benefits You Get
Apart from the usage you read above, there are many miraculous benefits we get from this oil.
- Moisturizes skin– A high amount of vitamin E is present in olive-oil. A light massage helps in reducing the dampness from the skin.
- Healthy Hair – Mixing this oil with honey and applying it on scalp make hair shiny & lustrous. The presence of vitamin B aids the growth of hair and vitamin E prevents hair loss. Honey restores the moisture in hair.
- Strengthens Bones – A study says that consuming the Mediterranean diet and olive oil provides strength to the skeletal system.
- Relieves Constipation – Taking this oil empty stomach in the morning can do wonders.
Olives contain the essential vitamins that should be consumed for the benefit of one’s own body. Whether it the health of hair or for the gut, the olives can perform wonders. Hence, the consumption of Mediterranean diet and olive oil is wonderful for mankind.